The holidays are no doubt a stressful time of year for some people and with so many people, places and things demanding your attention and time, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. Fatigue can have both mental and physical effects, leaving your feeling totally run down – at a time of year you should be feeling energetic and joyful.
Our friends over at Woodhouse Day Spa in Corpus Christi are offering you some simple suggestions to help ease the stress and holiday mayhem.
The key to avoiding this fatigue is making sure you don’t forget to take care of yourself. Prioritize yourself several times throughout this season. Schedule in something fun and relaxing that focuses on you and your wellness. Make sure it’s an activity will temporarily spirit you away from all the holiday’s demands.
1. Diffuse essential oils of lavender, frankincense and throughout your home during the holidays. You can add Sandalwood to ground the scent. This blend will be relaxing. The Woodhouse diffuses a proprietary blend called Escape, which is sold in all of the Woodhouse Day Spa locations.
2. Bring in the warmth of candlelight with unscented pillar lights stacked and layered throughout your home.
3. Find 30 minutes for a warm bath and add harmonizing blends of Lavender 4 drops, Frankincense 4 drops, and Sandalwood 4 drops mixed with Dead Sea Salts. This will be a relaxing experience to transition you from day to night. Take this time to cleanse, exfoliate, and then apply a facial mask and then breathe deeply and relax.
4. Begin your morning with a slow cooker of water simmering and add several sprigs of rosemary, slices of lemon, orange. Add anything you love and allow to simmer throughout the day on low. Your home will smell fresh and bright with a sprinkle of joy.
5. Add the remaining citrus to a bottle of water and allow the essence of the fruit to enhance your mood and tempt you to drink more water throughout the day.
6. Keep a few fresh springs of rosemary with you throughout the day for pain, whether you experience leg or muscle tension or arthritis pain, Rosemary can ease pain and when combined with Arnica and Lavender, this is a great toolbox for your daily stress, especially during the holidays!
7. When there’s too many people and too much noise, head to a quiet place for a few minutes of deep breathing. Breathe I for a count of 5, deeply into your belly, not your chest, and then hold it for a count of 20 (you’ll need to work up to this the first couple of times) and then let’s it out for a count of 10. Do this 3 times and expect to feel renewed due to this ancient technique.
8. Be grateful for all your blessings this year and write those blessings down. Doing this opens you up for this next year and this next decade. Be your best and help others do the same!
9. Avoid excessive or binge drinking.
10. Stay hydrated by drinking water as you run around getting holiday chores done.
11. Build plenty of opportunities for “me time” into your holiday calendar.
12. Limit stress by being mindful of anxiety triggers and knowing when you’re doing too much.
13. Get plenty of sleep and rest!
For ideas, look for seasonal mindfulness-related hashtags in social media. There are several popular ones out there right now like: #HolidayMindfulness, #RelaxAmerica, and #HealthyHolidays